Monday, October 14, 2013

Readers Are Leaders

I am constantly reminded by my mom - "Read more! Readers are leaders!". And I try to get around to reading, but I don't read as often as I might like to. I find that to be a common trend among our generation - reading comes secondary to a lot of other things, which can be sad. Myself included, I think that our generation spends too much time on electronics (phone, TV, computer, etc.) and not enough time investing in a good book.

I came across an article in which the author talks about how he puts reading before almost everything else. He said that he is by no means a speed reader, but still can get through 3-5 books a week. That was shocking to me. I remember hearing that the average human spends approximately 7.5 hours in front of a screen. However, this guy seems to be the exception.

I think the amount of time Americans spend in front of a screen is unreal. We get so caught up in everything, whether it be the news or what's on TV tonight, and sometimes I think we need to give our eyes a break. We need to escape into a book, into a story. We need to give our eyes a rest. Technology has evolved so much over time that it seems to consume our life - we need to start reading more. Maybe not as much as the guy from the article, but it would definitely help give our minds a break to read.

Do you think that Americans should start reading more? Or does the evolution of technology mean we just need to keep up with the recent trends?

Article: http://theweek.com/article/index/250445/how-to-read-more

1 comment:

  1. I think we should start reading a lot more books. I believe that reading books could give us so much knowledge and we are wasting those opportunities. It is important to keep up with the recent trends but we shouldn't be so taken up with it.

    ReplyDelete