Sunday, November 24, 2013

Do Wishes Really Come True?

I wrote my blog last week about Batkid, the kid diagnosed with leukemia that had his one wish granted. After writing it, I was still very interested in the topic of Make-A-Wish foundation. In past years, my gymnastics team would always go to a gymnastics meet in Gurnee that was called the "Make-A-Wish Meet". Every year, there was a representative from the Foundation that spoke to the crowd and the teams right before competition. They would tell stories of kids, and the teams competing would always raise money to give to the Foundation at that meet.

I decided to do a little bit more research after my last blog. Especially after reading the Batkid story, which is a great story, I started to wonder, What about all the other kids? What about the kids that are sick that don't get a wish granted? What about the kids that don't know about Make-A-Wish article that San Francisco spent $105,000 to grant his wish. While this is great for this one child, I think they could have maybe picked something a little bit smaller, and used split up that amount of money to affect more than one kid. It seemed unnecessary to me, to spend all that money on one kid and one wish.
foundation? I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of kids who don't get their wish granted. I read in an

I then went onto the Make-A-Wish website, and discovered how they determine which kids get wishes. First, they have to get a referral from a doctor for a kid who is between 2.5-18 years old. The child also has to have a life-threatening disease, in order to get a wish. The child then gets to pick a wish, and hopefully the grants that Make-A-Wish have make it happen.

It is crazy how specific the process is. It's almost like there is a checklist, and each kid has to go through and check off each requirement in order to be able to apply. I had no idea that the process was like this. I never thought about the process, and basically thought that this stuff just happened, out of nowhere. But, now knowing what I do, I wonder about all the other sick kids that don't get wishes granted or don't know about the wish system. Do they get their hopes up for something, and it doesn't happen? If so, do they see these other stories in the news and get jealous or sad that they don't get to experience that? As great as Make-A-Wish is, I think you can still find faults with it.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the specific process is because of how expensive these events are. They choose children with life-threatening diseases because the foundation wants to put these children as their first priorities. Knowing that they might pass soon gives Make A Wish a greater motive to fulfill the wishes of these children. I feel that the organization chooses to fulfill the child's specific wish instead of granting smaller wishes for multiple children because there would be a feeling of disappointment if this were to happen Unfortunately, not all of the children will get their wishes granted, but I think that Make A Wish tries it's hardest to fulfill the dreams of as many children as possible.

    ReplyDelete