Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Opportunity of a Lifetime

With the Olympics coming to a close soon, it only felt right to blog about them. I am a huge fan of the Olympics, and every time they come around find myself watching them nonstop - even if I don't like the event I am watching. For some reason I just can't help myself. Something about the Olympics is so great - perhaps it is how there is healthy competition between countries, but they still appreciate every athlete they compete against and the great sportsmanship involved.

Now, as much as I love the Olympics, I have somewhat of a grudge against them. I play softball, and in the Summer Olympics I always loved watching baseball and softball. However, after the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing, the Olympic Committee decided to take out both baseball and softball from the Olympic Games. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) gave a few reasons for taking the sports out, one of them being that since Major League Baseball wouldn't let their players play, and the IOC was unhappy with that. But, another reason that has kind of been floating around, and I've heard people say but have never read an article that explicity says it is that, mostly for softball, the US was having too much success. There was not a lot of competition between the other countries, the US just blew them out of the water. I don't know if that is an official reason, but that is what I have heard.

This prompted me look more into the success of USA in the past Olympics. The USA has won more gold and overall medals in the Summer Olympics than any other countries, winning a total of about 2,400 medals. They also have won the second most gold and overall medals in the Winter Games. I think these statistics show the competitive spirit in the athletes from the US. These athletes have a drive and a desire for success more than anyone else. They will do whatever it takes to achieve their dream - represent their country in the Olympics. I think this is amazing, and such a great experience for whoever gets the chance. So, why would they take out sports that give that opportunity to people? Two sports that are loved worldwide. Regardless of who goes home with the gold, I think that the athletes from baseball and softball should get that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment