Sunday, April 27, 2014

Women In The Work Force

While doing my junior theme research, I came across a statistic that really shocked me. Part of my research is the number of women working in the athletic departments of schools versus the number of men doing the same thing. I came across an article from the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administration (NACWAA). In this article they say that "women occupy five of 120 athletic-director positions in Division I-A".

This seems absurd to me. From what I calculated based on the above statistic, 4% of the athletic directors in Division I-A are women, while the remaining 96% are men. That is so uneven. It is not even close. This proves that athletics are a department almost completely dominated by men. Men clearly run the show when it comes to collegiate athletics, which is possibly one of the reasons that colleges fund men's sports much more than they fund women's sports. The money goes man to man, and women are put at a disadvantage.

This is something that is prevalent in all aspects of society today, not just sports. There are much fewer women CEO's in the work force than their are men. Men still statistically make more money than women, with women making 77 cents to every dollar a man makes (Time). It seems to be a common theme, which leads me to believe that although the feminist movement has come very far in the past decades, there is still much more work to be done to gain equality between the genders in the work force.

No comments:

Post a Comment